Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Really Cute Story

This is a quilt square that came about a week ago from my cousin, Sarah. She's lived out in Billings, Montana for a very long time. I'm guessing Sarah was probably about 18 yrs old when I was born. Give or take. I'm not really sure. Anyway she sent me this fabric because it reminded her of a dress that she made for me when I was a baby. She told me a story that my mom had told her of how I'd sit by the dryer waiting for it to dry because I loved wearing it so much. I thought it was a sweet story and a sweet gesture that she included some fabric that was meaningful to her, but I honestly had no memory of this dress.

Now I'm the type of person who likes to surround myself with photos. They remind me of special memories so I have frames all over the house. Today as I was walking past my sofa table in the living room I glance over at some photos displayed there and I see this............

Look closer.... down in the far right corner in the little square shaped white frame....
It's Sarah's dress!! I've had this photo in a frame on that table for years! I've always loved this picture of me. Not sure why. Maybe it's the cute little flippy pixie hair cut. Or maybe it was some repressed memory of my favorite dress! My mom must have liked the dress, too, because this is a professionally taken photo. I loved that Sarah chose a fabric for Mia's quilt that was special to her. But this whole crazy coincidence makes it even more meaningful. I can't believe I've had this picture displayed in my living room for years and never realized the story behind the dress. I've got to write this one down for Mia's memory book. Isn't this too funny?!

13 comments:

Elise said...

That was a great story, got to love the squares that really have that sentimental value!

4D said...

That is really sweet. A definite story for Mia's book! You could include a copy of the picture with it.

Keep smilin!

C's Mom said...

Wow...I even looked at the pictures the other night and didn't make any connection to the square....maybe it was before I saw the sqaure. Uh, yeah, that;s it ;0)

That IS a neat story. I'm with Doris - put a copy of the pic in the wish book.

wzgirl said...

What a cuuute cheeky wee girl you were, Krista!! Sweet story - and, well, I'm always a fan of gingham. Any color. Very special quilt piece.

t~ said...

What a sweet piece of fabric to arrive in the mail. I love that story!

Shannon said...

What a great discovery!

Debra Sue said...

I agree, that's a story to remember. It's also great that a family member stepped up to the plate and sent a square. Right On!

Shandra said...

How sweet. Maybe she will make Mia a dress to go along with it and you can frame the photos side by side.

Polar Bear said...

That is a great story! You look so cute in the picture.

It will be fun years from now to tell that story to Mia while curled up under your quilt!

Catherine said...

What a great story and you were a cutie! Definately one for the memory book.

Tamara said...

Very sweet story, you do look adorable and very happy.

Katrina said...

Krista, You sent me your info and I never got the quilt square sent off...this post reminded me! If you get a chance and still need some fabric, please email me the info again. I promise to get it out this time!!

Kelli said...

What a cutie you were! Wonder if the dress is still floating around in a box in someone's basement? wouldn't it be sweet to have pictures of Mia in it too???! How adorable!!! What a great gift from your cousin to remember the fabric from a dress from so long ago!!