Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Man Of My Dreams

He's short and squat with long blonde hair. Not exactly what I pictured myself with. I normally go for the tall, dark and handsome type.

He's very mellow and laid back. Completely loyal to me. Follows me everywhere. And would fight to the death to defend my honor.

He spoons me at night when we sleep. He loves me unconditionally and shows his affection by constantly licking me.

Geez.... what's the matter with you?! Get your mind out of the gutter... I'm talking about my dog! LOL!

He's a 6 yr old Pomeranian named Griffey. My ex-husband was a huge Cincinnati Reds fan and thought it'd be cute to name him after one of their ballplayers. Luckily, I got custody in the divorce.

This little furball is the man of my dreams. The funny thing is that I didn't even want him when we got him. Well, let me explain. My ex and I went to the mall so I could buy a pair of running shoes. I was training to run as part of a relay team in the Air Force Marathon. It was the first and last time that I will ever voluntarily run 6.5 miles, but it was for a good cause. I digress....

As we're walking by the pet store on the way to the shoe store, he decides to go in. I protest ....but it's too late. He's already inside. The next thing I know some pet store employee is shoving this cute little ball of fur at me asking if I want to hold him. I think they're trained to spot a sucker a mile away.

Anyway, long story short.... I ended up with Griffey instead of running shoes. Now don't flame me. I know that you're never supposed to buy a dog from the mall pet store. It wasn't like I set out to do that. He was completely an impulse buy on my ex-husband's part. We weren't even in the market for a dog and knew nothing about this particular breed.

Call it fate. Call it destiny. Whatever the case may be. But 6 yrs later, he is the love of my life and the best dog I've ever owned. Our personalities are completely in sync. He's my doggy soul mate.

I joke about how I asked God to send me the perfect man......... and he did. But I forgot to mention to send him in human form. So the joke's on me. But I think I got the better end of the deal. :)

I just hope he adjusts to his mei-mei when she comes home because he's been the top dog for quite awhile. Pardon the pun. Only time will tell.

The second pic is what Griffey does while I'm blogging my life away on the computer. When I'm here, without fail he's in his favorite spot at the top of the stairs usually snoring. Literally.I love this spoiled rotten dog with all my heart and soul!

11 comments:

C's Mom said...

I love those Griffey pics!

Hey, no problem with him being the man of your dreams....it's evident right up front that he's a dog ;0) (Okay, sorry guys, I couldn't help but note the male-bashing joke!)

I think Griffey and his mei-mei will be great buds....once he figures out that she's staying :0)

Eliza2006 said...

Oh, little Griffey! He's so cute! You perfectly described the man of MY dreams!!! I was sqeazing Beau tonight saying, "I'm the luckiest girl in the world. How did I get such a perfect dog?" I totally get the love you have for Griffey.

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Well, he is kind of sexy.

Jen said...

I'm a puppy spoon sandwich each morning. One on each side. I'm totally in sync with you on this post... there's nothing quite like puppy love.

Joannah said...

He's Tiffany's (Eliza2006) dog's twin. I have had a crush on Beau (Tiffany's dog) for months. Now I will have a double crush on Beau and Griffey! Those Poms are so dang cute.

Joannah said...

Duh! I see that Tiffany has posted already. Yeah, well... You both have Poms and they are super cute. ;-)

Shannon said...

Griffey is a cutie. That first picture makes him look like he's taking a break on the set of a movie, waiting to be called! A star is born!

Amy said...

He's beautiful... enjoy him.

From one dog family to another...

-Amy & Ruby Cate
In memory & honor of the late Ebenezer Sharp
Nov 4, 1995 - May 3rd, 2006
Until we meet again old friend, sleep well.

Tao's Mommy said...

Ahhh Griffey is so cute...A big fur ball!!!!

Krista, got your square today...it is so beautiful!!! Thank you so much, its one of my fav's!!!

t~ said...

Cute pooch! I understand the doggy soul mate thing, my lab is my girl. She has been the only estrogen in my home for 5 years and I couldn't have asked for a better dog!

I married into a whole herd of Buckeyes, those crazy folks even have me brainwashed. I am a WV girl by birth, but those Buck Nut crazed people have me and my boys screaming "GO BUCKS!"

Dottie Putney said...

He is sooooo cute. I once had a Pom too. Looked exactly like your Griffey. At 19 yo he went on to doggy heaven in Dec 2003. We now have a 2 yo Pug named Butch.