Friday, September 08, 2006

Time For Reflection

Exactly 2 years ago today, I started my life over. Everything had changed for me. My perspective had been completely altered. I came to realize what's important and what's not.

On this day 2 years ago, I began to heal. It's been an ongoing process ever since. September 8, 2004 the doctors removed me from the ventilator that had breathed for my body for 12 days.

This year, I decided to pay attention during those 12 days. I watched the minutes tick away. I wanted to really feel and comprehend just how long it took for those 12 days to pass.

It took a long time. Even though I was busy.

I worked 2 jobs. I socialized with friends. I did housework. I read a book. I watched TV. I wasted time on this computer. I talked on the phone. I mowed the grass. You get the idea.

Imagine how long those 12 days would be if you were just sitting by the hospital bed of someone you love. Waiting ..... worrying ...... wondering if they would pull through. I can only imagine what that must've felt like. How difficult that was.

I hate that my friends and family had to go through that. I'm grateful for their prayers, faith, hope, time, support and love. I thank them for helping me to get through the most difficult thing that I've ever been handed.

Because WE refused to give up, I am still here. I'll never forget.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, click here for an explanation.

12 comments:

Debra Sue said...

I commented before about how amazing it is that you are such a strong survivor, but I am saying again. Wow, Miss Mia's got one pistol of a mama waiting for her.

I am glad you made it friend.

C's Mom said...

Obviously, I'm glad you are here with us too! Not only would Mia have missed out on an awesome mama but I would have missed out on one very cool friend :0)

You're tough stuff. What all us chicks should aspire to be made of!

t~ said...

Wow, you have quite the tale to tell your daughter. Your a strong gal! Glad to know that your onto the next journey of your life....waiting for Mia.

Catherine said...

Wow! Just read your story. What a wonderful outlook you have! So many want to see what they can get out of a bad situation and blame everyone. You believed and still believe in your doctor and realized it was an accident.

I can tell from this what an amazing mom you're going to be!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Krista, that is amazing. I am so glad you are here! : ) And I can't wait to see your Mia.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea! That is an amazing story Krista. And you're still here with us! What a strong woman you are! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

If you've got the inclination, could you touch on a few things you changed your view on? I'm always curious how people's perspectives change due to a life changing event and if they've kept that change after a length of time...I hope you get my meaning in that.

But only if you've got the inclination.

Elise said...

wow, what an ordeal to go through!!! I am so glad that you made it and are better now. It is amazing how it takes such a scare to make us realize how precious each moment is. Thanks for reminding me!

wzgirl said...

Wow, Krista, I didn't know your story & I'm so glad that I do now. You are Supergirl. And, your story inspires me. I am so touched that you shared your experience so openly.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Krista,
I am deeply sorry for all that you have been through and for the time lost and the wretched consequences of your surgery. The changes you have discovered as a result of your experience are true testaments to who you are as a person and I suspect that these changes (which you discuss in the post above) have only deepened your will and your strength as an independent woman. In reading the comments here, the words "amazing", "tough", "awesome", "strong", and "inspire" are written again and again. You epitomize these words, Krista.

4D said...

It is a great anniversary if you ask me. A day to remember when you started life again.

Keep smilin!

Tao's Mommy said...

WOW...GIRL I'm sooo glad you are here today!!! Your an inspiration to us all!!! Glad to see Mia has a TOUGH MAMA...
~~HUGS~~