Friday, September 01, 2006

BPOH: Bathrooms ~Part Two

This is my downstairs half bath. It used to be the breakfast nook of the kitchen but the previous owners made it into a bathroom. Thank goodness! It's rare for these older homes to have more than one bathroom. And I love that I don't have to run upstairs everytime I have to... uh, well you know. The former owners, however, had a big, giant, ugly shower right where you're looking. It blocked the window. I couldn't see myself actually running downstairs to take a shower so I ditched it. They also had not built up the wall. It was still a huge breakfast-nook-size opening with one of those horrendous accordian doors that you'd pull across. It was awful. So I had the wall built, the door installed, and a wonderful carpenter who replicated the trim to match the original trim in the kitchen.
My bathroom is the ultimate ode to feminine style. Very girly. Kind of a shabby chic look. And, of course, my favorite colors ... pink and green. I got this old bookcase from an antique store. It was the perfect fit for the room and already painted in these colors. I painted the floor mat myself on a big made-to-be-a-floor-mat canvas. Then added about 50 coats of varnish!The mirror came from the same antique store. I didn't do anything to it except hang it on the wall. My mom made the sink skirt and curtains. Did you see my cute little ladybug towels? When I found these, I just had to have them!
The walls are faux finished with several beautiful shades of pink. And yes... there've been men that have used this bathroom. Maybe they just close their eyes to preserve their masculinity. Here is my masterpiece! This room was my most ambitious project. With the faux finish and the word border it took me over a month to complete. I still can't believe this myself but... I didn't measure for the words. I just stood back, eyeballed it and started where I thought it should go. Somehow it ended up as a perfect fit! The letters were individual stencils that I used for the basic shape of the letter. Then I added my own personal touches with the swirlys. After I finished the poem, it looked like it needed something more so I added the vining flowers. It was hard to photograph cuz the room is so small but here it is...... The pics don't even really do it justice for how beautiful it turned out. It's a line from a poem by Veronica A. Shoffstall. This sentence is my mantra to women everywhere, especially us single gals. "Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone else to bring you flowers." I love my frou-frou girly bathroom!

9 comments:

4D said...

Love your loo!

Keep smilin!

wzgirl said...

I love that quote - plant your own garden & decorate your own soul. Words to live by...

C's Mom said...

I love that potty too! And, you're right, the pictures are nice but do not do it justice. It is WAY beautious ladies!!!

Joannah said...

Very nice! I have that same green floral fabric on my kitchen chairs.

~Kristen said...

You have a beautiful home Krista. Mia will feel like the princess she is.

Alyson and Ford said...

Love your bathroom.... Love the verse too.
The colors are the same that our daughter used for the smallest bedroom in her house (now grand-daughter's room): Beatles Apple green and pink. Beautiful!

Alyson

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

It looks great!!! I love the quote on the wall as well!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the bathroom!! I love EVERYTHING in it!! I love the saying (I'm going to adopt that as my motto) and I love the way you decorated it!!! I love the antique mirror and the book case too. You did a FANTASTIC job on this room!! It belongs in a magazine!!
I love the rest of your house too, I just haven't got around to commenting on those entrys, so I'll do it here. Your house is gorgeous!!!
You don't have a thing to worry about with the scrapbooking! You are so creative, your books will be gorgeous!!!

Lisa and Tate said...

Wow!!! You did such a great job!!! SO creative with the lettering, faux finish, and unique touches of the mirror and cabinet. I need to learn more of how you did that rug canvas!!!

Lisa