Monday, October 16, 2006

Happy Birthday Travis!

October 16th, 1976 was the day my brother was born. I can't believe my baby brother is 30 already. It seems like just yesterday when Carla and I were locking him out of our room and only allowing him in if he agreed to play Barbies with us. I'm sure being a boy and the youngest wasn't easy. But surprisingly, being surrounded by so much estrogen helped grow a really great man. He's strong, honest, hard working and loyal. I know he'll make a great husband and an amazing father if that's what he chooses to do someday. Carla, Travis and I have always been close but Travis and I had some ups and downs when we were younger. We didn't always see things the same way. We got a lot closer during my illness though. He spent quite a bit of time at the hospital sitting with me. In fact, I heard he was there pretty much daily. Even though I don't remember much about that time, I'll never forget. That may not make sense but what I mean is that I really appreciate the support. Uncle Travis will be a big part of Mia's life, too. And since I'll be raising her on my own, he'll certainly be the most important man in her life.

This pic was taken a couple of weeks ago. It's our nephew, Teagan, getting his first haircut ever. And Uncle Travis got to do the honors. About a year ago, my brother realized that he was very unhappy with his chosen profession. He decided if he was going to make a change he'd better do it soon because 30 was looming on the horizon. So he quit his job and went to barber college. This year will be pretty rough for him while he finishes school and gets himself established. But once he gets there, I think he'll be much happier.

We're both pretty tough and very stubborn. Our family is not the real lovey-dovey kind. We all know we love each other but we probably should say it out loud more often. So here goes.

I love you little brother and I hope you have an awesome 30th birthday!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, HELLO! Travis is ADORABLE! Allright if I 'love' him too? ;) hehehe

HAPPY 30TH! (it just gets better from here!)

-Amy (currently 34 & loving it!)

Polar Bear said...

Happy Birthday!

I love the picture!! SO cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Travis from your cousin Debbie!! Love you, love the picture too. It's good of both of you. Teagan looks very trusting, good for you! I know you'll make a great barber! Good luck in it and have a great birthday!!

I can't believe you are 30!!!!!

Drea said...

Happy Birthday! Its my sisters birthday today as well! Weird, both naming our girls Mia, both have siblings with Oct 16th b-days, hmmmmm what else!

Tamara said...

Happy b/d little brother- he sure is a cutie and I'm glad to hear he's following his dreams.

Mariah said...

October 16th is a great day, my Mom's birthday is today as well! Happy Birthday to your brother!!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Happy Birthday!!! Turning thirty is really not that bad...it's waking up the day after you turn thirty that is worse! :)

4D said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful thing to follow your passion and work in what you enjoy and love your job.

Keep smilin!

~Kristen said...

Happy Birthday Travis.... things only get better after 30!!!! Enjoy :o)

t~ said...

30's a big one! Happy B-day!