Saturday, April 23, 2011

Guest Bedroom Re-Do

I'm gonna have some help when I first get home from China. And they'll need a place to sleep if they stay over. So I decided to turn the office back into a guest bedroom. Here's the before....
Behold my nod to "Breakfast at Tiffany's".
Photographing it at night really lightens the wall color but it's the exact same shade of the Tiffany's box. 
I love the color and I love the style. Every single bit of it... the contrast of the black furniture, the sparkle of the "diamonds" in the light fixture and candle holders, the black and white damask bedding and polka dot curtains. It turned out even more fabulous then what I'd envisioned. I'm so happy with it! Click on any photo to see it bigger.
I chose a daybed trundle so I could sleep two overnight guests if I wanted. Someone asked in the comments about the bedding. I got it here.
Is this not the coolest pillow ever? I got it here. It matches the polka dot curtains....made by my mother, of course.
Beautiful Audrey. I love this print. Love Love Love!
But I love my gorgeous light fixture even more. Chrome, dripping with crystals and this amazing iridescent see through black pendant shade. The photo doesn't even do it justice.
This is called a "Gentleman's Chest". It's a matching piece to the maser bedroom set. But I had no more room in the master. I adored it so much I decided to get it anyway and use it in the guest room. The frosted glass panel slides open to reveal drawers and shelves.
Perfect picture for this room. I couldn't believe when I ran across it at Tar-jay of all places.
On top of the chest.
These birds belonged to my grandmother. I remember these decorating her house for years. They were an ugly tarnished brass when I inherited them. But you know me... I envisioned what they could be with a little spray paint. Now they have a new life.
My "diamond" candle holders. So sparkly and shiny.
The frog prince. I just thought he was adorable. And Lord knows I've kissed a lot of frogs looking for my prince. But still can't find him... LOL!
I found these photos on Etsy. I wanted to keep with the theme of the room but not be too over the top and corny. So I searched for black and white photos of New York City to keep it sophisticated and classy.
Absolutely adore this one. I love the curves of the black metal railing with the Empire State Building in the background. I love visiting NYC. It's one of my favorite places in the world. This photo just makes my heart happy.
One of my favorite things in NYC is Central Park. I love everything about it. As soon as I found this photo of "The Poet's Walk" at the lower end of the Mall I knew I had to have it.  
So who wants to spend the night with Audrey Hepburn in my own little piece of the Big Apple? ;)

37 comments:

Paragon2Pieces said...

wow! can you be my interior decorator? so beautiful!

and so happy that you'll be meeting Mia soon :)

k1 said...

Do you hire out?

Lindsay said...

I love it. You have the coolest ideas for decorating and I love all the fabric. Gorgeous.

dawn said...

WOW. Stunning.
Who knew you could spray paint brass.

Selkie Mom said...

Wow, I wish I had half your talent.

Shannon said...

E and I want to come and visit you and M and stay in your beautious abode!! Then you can come back here and spruce up my dull white walled house! You are amazing! =)

Sally said...

The room looks lovely, and I love the color so I was wondering what color and brand it is.

Lisa and Tate said...

Looks amazing! great job.

Laurie said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Brenda said...

Krista: do you have a real Tiffany box for decor? If not, let me know...

Anonymous said...

Love the bedding. Are you willing to share where you found it?

Special K said...

Brenda... I do NOT have a real Tiffany's box. Sadly, my only piece of Tiffany's jewelry came about 5 years ago and I didn't keep the box. :(

Anonymous ... I added a link for the bedding in the post.

MJ said...

what is the name of the paint color?

Special K said...

MJ... it's Fresh Mist by Valspar at Lowe's.

Sarah in MT said...

You are fabulously creative - definitely have a "back up" talent should you ever need it. Can't even imagine where you found the time to do this room, too!

Brenda said...

I'll email you, Krista. For the future: NEVER get rid of a Tiffany box!! :-)

Nicole said...

Wow!!! I LOVE it!!

Laura Nesbitt said...

seriously...you are in the wrong line of work...your true calling is Interior Decorating! Amazing job.

Shannon said...

LOVE it!

Liene said...

When I move into my house in June will you come decorate? I love the stuff you do. Have you thought about giving up your current job for decorating? I want to know where you got the silver hammered vases you have on the floor next in front of the curtain. I also love the cute silver frog.

Seriously K, you are the bomb when it comes to decorating. Two snaps!

Greg, Dottie and Mimi said...

I must say that I so totally agree with everything that everyone has said so far. Can't wait till we get to China and I can meet you and your new sweetie! Dottie Putney

Mer (Lulu's Mommy) said...

breathtaking

Briana's Mom said...

LOVE!!!!

Catherine said...

Absolutely breathtaking!!!

Now I want to search for pics of Mia's nursery. Can't remember how you decorated that but I'm sure it's absolutely gorgeous too!

Love your new style...and it's going to be even more beautiful with little toys and books scattered about!

Kim said...

Ok.. you need to come and decorate my house.. Great job..
love it..
maybe I need to come and help you when you get back..
Hugz..

Jen said...

Okay so I just got a new house and I want you to come decorate it. Seriously you have amazing talent! I love it!

Anonymous said...

That color is stunning, you're so talented Krista!

China Dreams said...

Nice-very art deco!

Kristy said...

K...That is just a beautiful room!!!


Love, Kristy

Aunt Edie said...

I love it when you post photos of your house--you certainly have a knack for decorating! FYI--the pair of brass birds in the guest room was given to Mom and Dad on their 50th anniversery. I don't remember who gave them.

Lin said...

Where did you get the fabulous chandelier and "gentlemen's chest"

Special K said...

Lin .... the chandelier came from Overstock. They have a lot of really cool light fixtures and the prices are really good. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Clear-Crystal-3-light-Ceiling-Fixture/4512405/product.html

The chest is from a manufacturer called Holland House.

Tracy said...

So awesome. I have dining room chairs that color - and I've been needing to redo the room - you give me inspiration.

Karrie said...

Oh My WOW!!!
Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
You really are very talented!

Marina said...

This is just sooooo gorgeous...I might have just been inspired to re-decorate my bedroom

Marina said...

Me again, this room is still on my mind, it just looks so amazing!

I came across this pillow/cushion in the mall in London today, it would be perfect, but it's a little pricey

http://dwell.co.uk/110416/Landmark-cushion---New-York/

Send me an email to pt8adam @ gmx.de
if you're interested and I'd be happy to help out

Scrappy Bug said...

ABsolutely gorgeous!