Saturday, February 05, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

The power was out from 8pm Tuesday night until about 2pm on Friday. And it was a very long 3 days. Luckily, the pipes in the house didn't freeze. My next water bill may be a little higher since I left water dripping in every faucet for several days. But it's a small price to pay to prevent a pipe bursting.

Griffey and I spent those days at my sister's. All the T's were off school during that time because of the bad weather. And one night my mom stayed over as well because she lost power. It made for a full house. A little loud and crazy at times. But it was nice to hang out with the kids. It made me realize how much they're all growing up.

Griffey and I are thrilled to finally be home now. I don't think my bed as ever been more comfortable than it was last night. LOL! I absolutely love my house. It's my sanctuary. My calm, my peace, my sanity, my happy place. I know we shouldn't put so much value in material things. But I was absolutely sick during that ice storm worrying about the risk of damage to my baby. I was so thankful that I got through it with just the annoyance of having to clean the backyard up and replace the gutter. It could have been a lot worse.

And I appreciate my house even more now after being forced out for several days. It may not be perfect. But it's mine. Filled with a lot of my blood, sweat and tears. It's seen me through a wedding, marriage, divorce, illness that nearly took my life, and soon .... motherhood. My heart, soul and many memories live within these walls. It's unique and colorful... just like me. I love this space I've created for myself. There's no other place I'd rather be. It feels good to be home.

3 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

I love my first night home after sleeping in a strange bed, especially if there are clean sheets on the bed. Glad you are safe - and man, sorry about that tree.

Anonymous said...

Hey glad your home safe and sound! Thats said I reread the story of when you almost died and I have to ask did you ever tell us the going to the light story??? If you did I need the link back.. I love crap like that!

Mike, Terri and Ava said...

New to your blog and will be following as you get your referral. We were LID March 14, 2006 and got our referral April 2009. You will soon see the wait disappears once you have that baby in your arms. Makes it all worth it! Looking forward to reading the next few months with you!
Our blog is waiting-for-ava.blogspot.com