Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Miserable Day

It's been raining all afternoon. Dark and gray and gloomy. With just enough chill in the air to make you wanna curl up in your pajamas. It seems fitting for my heavy heart. Our police department has been hit pretty hard over the last few days and the mood at work is somber, to say the least.

Last night I went to a viewing for a young man named Eric who was killed in a motorcycle accident on Friday. His father and uncle are fellow detectives. Both veterans of our department. Eric grew up as a member of our police family. He was only 24.

I stood in line for nearly 2 hours to pay my respects. It was comforting to see so much support for the family. But it was heart breaking to see a mother and father grieving the loss of their oldest child. Absolutely heart breaking.

Then this morning when I got to work I learned another officer's 16 yr old son was struck by a car last night as he walked along the highway. He was air lifted from the scene and is now in ICU in critical condition. His injuries are massive. By this afternoon the news was not good. But we're praying.

If you're so inclined, maybe you could say a few as well. His name is Christian.

Two of my friends. One learning to live without his son. One facing a very long road of recovery for his son....or worse. Two tragic events within a matter of days of each other. Doesn't even seem real.

Hugs your kids a little tighter tonight. And be grateful that you can.

5 comments:

Suzie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the tragedies that your friends, and you, are experiencing. Life isn't fair. I learned that first hand on May 28th. I will pray for your friends and for you and hope that you all find peace with what has happened.

~Kristen said...

This put all of my crappy week into perspective...

(((hugs))) to you... prayers for Christian and both families...

Kayce said...

Christian will be in our prayers along with his family as well as the family who just lost their son. Life is so precious...hugs and prayers for YOU too Special K!

Kel said...

Brought a tear to my eyes.

Makes me realise how lucky I am.

With lots of love to you and yours

Michal said...

I am so sorry to hear this.
It's an unspeakable thing to loose your child.
I will hold both of these families in my prayers.

I am off to take your advice and snuggle with my kids.