Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Let's Catch Up Bullet Style

  • As has become a tradition, I went trick-or-treating with the T's. Braeden joined us again this year. The two oldest T's aren't too big to go begging for candy but are apparently way too cool to do it with their parents and younger siblings. So they're not pictured since I didn't see Travis at all that night and only saw Tanner for about 5 minutes. Teagan was supposed to be a race car driver but at the last minute abandoned his costume in favor of the one he wore last year. Tatum is some sort of medieval queen. At least that's our best guess. She picked it out. The other two need no explanation. It was a fun night made even better by the beautiful weather. And it's so very exciting to know that next year Mia will finally be here to join us!
  • I finally got my furnace fixed. In true procrastinator form I didn't take care of it over the summer. Even though I knew during those last couple of cold spring days that the pilot light wouldn't stay lit. Nope. I waited until it started getting chilly again. So that was a huge pain in the ass. But after some trial and error the problem was diagnosed and corrected. Now I breathe a huge sigh of relief every time I hear that old monster start rumbling and then feel the glorious heat. Thank goodness that's done.
  • I also just bought a new washer/dryer. The old dryer finally kicked the bucket. But I got my money's worth out of it. I bought that set from an ex-boyfriend in 1996. So it was already "used" at that point and lasted 14 more years. But O>M>G am I loving doing laundry now! Seriously. My clothes are cleaner than ever before. And in way less time. Who knew laundry could be so exciting? Dear gawd... I need to get out more. LOL!
  • Random thought... is it really almost Thanksgiving? How is that even possible?
  • At work the other day a female suspect in one of my cases was upset and complaining that the arresting officer had violated her "prostitutional rights". And no she's not a hooker. Just stupid, apparently.
  • Anybody watching Dancing with the Stars? I can't believe Jennifer-Grey is 50 yrs old. She looks damn good. Did you see how far she extended her leg last night? Wow. Truth be told.. I have a major crush on Maks. That's my excuse for watching.
  • I'm currently reading this book. So far I'm really liking it. I think it'll be one that I come back to from time to time for advice. I read "Attaching in Adoption" by Deborah Gray which is one of the often recommended books in IA. I didn't dig it. I didn't feel any more educated after reading it than I already was just through other blogs and RQ all these years. Plus it seemed geared more towards older child adoption and foster child adoption. Any favorite adoption/attachment/parenting books y'all want to recommend? I'm power studying in these last few months before referral.
  • Speaking of referrals, CCAA has matched through May 23rd. Which means I'm only 21 log in dates away. 21! That's not a lot. The next batch will be telling. How far they get and when the batch comes will help me narrow my prediction window better. I'm still thinking January is possible. Probable even. But it could push into February. Hopefully not March... but again it could definitely happen. Who ever knows with China? But one thing is for sure... I'm getting very close.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Looks like you have been having fun...
I just did a random post also.. I am sucking at blogging...
Have a great week..
Hugz...
You are getting sooo close...

Liz and Ava said...

1-The Connected Child(Bringing Hope and Healing to Your Adopted Family)-by Karyn B. Purvis

2-Attaching in Adoption- by Deborah Gray

3- Building the Bonds of Attachment- by Dr. Daniel A Hughs
(Toronto Childrens Aid Society and School Board frequently have him com from Maine for conference days...watch for him...he is an excellent speaker and very knowlegeable)

4-The Out of Sync Child- by Carol Stock Kranowitz(Great for Sensory Issues which are very commom with adopted children)

5-Parenting your Internationally Adopted Child-by Patty Cogen

6-When Love is Not Enough- A Guide to Parenting Children with RAD-Reactive Attachment Disorder-by Nancy Thomas

7-Therapeutic Parenting-Its a Matter of Attitude.-by Deborah Hage

8- Taming the Tiger while it is still a Kitten- Nancy Thomas
check out www.nancythomas.com

Just a few of my suggestions.

Colleen said...

I read all kinds of adoption related books. My favorites are memoirs. I have also read books that discuss the adoption process as well as parenting the adopted child. Like you, there are some that I read where I felt I didn't learn anything new. I have "Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child" but haven't read it yet.

I can't believe how close you are getting to referral. It's exciting! :)

Donna said...

I bought "Attaching in Adoption" when we were waiting for Maddy and got about 25% of the way in and just carried it to the garage and threw it into the garbage. I didn't even recycle it. I have a wonderful parenting book that I turn to over and over again. It's not in print anymore but it's called "Who's In Control" It's all about managing your expectations and keeping them realistic and knowing what battles are worth fighting. I turned to it over and over again when my son was a baby and used it all through his teen years for insight and perspective (and sometimes just a good laugh).

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Kayce said...

Lovin all those T's all costumed out! :) Can't wait to see a little penguin in the mix next year! ;)

I have "Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child" on my bedside table. LOVED it and go back to it often. We also loved the CD's of "Taming the Tiger While it's Still a Kitten". I listen to that every time it comes up on my ipod. Have read through " The connected child" but need to read it again slower.

As for your current post on sleep...I can't help you there because we've tried it all and we still have periods of long sleepless nights. We did co-sleep for a while but little miss thinks it's play time if she is in bed with us or vice versa. She just is not a sleeper (I'm thinking doctor when she's grown up). For her though the crib was a nightmare, absolute terrorizing for her and now she's just on a mattress on the floor and LURVES her bed...but she wont stay asleep. :) Ahhhh wish I could give you some advice... HUGGGGS!