Thursday, September 10, 2009

Projects Update

A few people have asked about the marshmallow shooters. I got them on sale at this site but I don't see the exact kind I bought anymore. These are the guns on a different site. However... if you go0gle "marshmallow shooter" you'll find them all over. The only complaint I had with the kind I bought was that the 4 yr old didn't have the strength to make the pump action work. So he got frustrated with it. Also the marshmallows start to gunk up and jam after awhile so the kids would have to pop off the end of the gun and either dig out sticky marshmallows with a stick or blow them out with their mouth. It didn't seem to slow them down much though and judging from what I saw last weekend they were a big hit with the kids.

I promised a project update for anyone who might be keeping track. Here's a couple things I completed in my 20 day blog hiatus. LOL!

I knew I wanted a P0tteryBarn-esque hot pink Williamsburg style chandelier for the nursery. But I didn't want to pay the inflated $199 PB price tag.I searched and searched for a chandelier that was a decent price. I looked on Craig$Li$t for the longest knowing that with one trusty can of spray paint I could make anything the color of my choosing. I finally gave up when I found one at an online discount lighting store for $50 with free shipping. I thought that was a fare price. Especially for a brand new one. If you look real close in the below pic, you'll also see a plate rack that got transformed from it's original white color. I have something really interesting planned for that.
The chandelier started out silver in color but is now a happy hot pink. I've still gotta buy some shades which will be re-covered in one of the fabrics used for the crib bedding. You'll see it again when it's all done and hanging in Mia's room. Whatcha think? $150 dollar savings! Can you tell the difference between mine and PB's? Gawd I love being thrifty!!By the way... when I went to pull the pic of the chandelier off the PB site for this blog post I saw that they've now marked them down to $49.99! Figures, right? They only have yellow or turquoise. But there's always spray paint! I just wish they'd been clearanced a little sooner. PB charges tax and their shipping charges are a little high... so I guess I can reassure myself with the knowledge that I still made out with the better deal. LOL!

I also spent several days ripping out the carpet in the nursery. All by myself. That job really sucked! I cut the carpet in 2 foot strips so it'd be easier to roll and handle. I still have some stuff in that room so I had to move it all to one side while I cut and ripped carpet, then the padding. Then I switched it to the other side and did it all again. What a pain in the ass that was...But I finally exposed the wood underneath. Then came pulling out the tack strips and what seemed like a gazillion staples.Until I was all finished. Yay! The wood is not a good enough quality to warrant the cost and work to re-finish it. It's too soft to be sanded and would have to be chemically treated to make it beautiful. So this weekend my brother-in-law is coming to lay a laminate over the top of it. More durable, much faster and easier to complete the floor project, and waaaay cheaper. I can't wait to see it all done!Actually I can't wait to see the whole danged room done!! Remember when I said it'd be finished by the end of summer? Well, I may have been a little off in my calculations. Kind of like the CC-AA.
;)

15 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE the chandelier and the floor is going to look amazing..
I am sooo ready to see the room done and Mia in there..
SOunds like you have been 1 busy lady..
Have a great weekend...

4D said...

You are SO crafty/creative/do it yourself!

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

You're my DIY heroine! I absolutely love the green and pink, and the chandelier looks great!

Kayce said...

Ohmy those floors are beautiful! You did a great job! The chandelier is gorgeous! Can you come over and finish up some of my projects? Please.

Catherine said...

Purdy!! It's fun to see Mia's room coming along and all you're doing to prepare it for your baby girl!

Sandra said...

Love it! A labor of love :-)

Laura said...

Looking great!!! Can't wait to see it completed! Are you for hire? ;-)

wzgirl said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful - and even moreso because you did it yourowndamnself!

You go! xo

laurie said...

Can't wait to see the finished product! Even with the old floors it's really looking good.

Lisa and Tate said...

Love your great finds AND the thriftiness of it! I cannot wait for the room to be finished! So cute so far.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

OH WOW....I love the chandelier. You did a great job on it!

LOL about your estimates being like the CCAA:) Today makes 40 months for us......I can't believe it!!

Thanks for the info on the shooters.....have a great weekend!

Lisa

Mom 2 six said...

Looking good-

Donna said...

What a crafty girl!

Shannon said...

That CCAA comment made me snort. You are AMAZING on the DIY! You deserve your own show! Wow!

Liene said...

Mia's room is turning out to be the bomb!!! I love how you made your own PB chandelier. Nope, can't tell the difference.