Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Are You F--king Kidding Me?

I feel like one of the violinists standing on the deck continuing to play as the ship goes down....

Just as a follow up to yesterday's post... our dept received word today of layoffs* for police officers. In a city where the police department was once 500 strong, our numbers are already now below 400. And yet our city leaders want to chop us off some more.

We made the number 19 spot for most dangerous cities just a couple years ago. But yeah... we don't need more police. By the way, let me tell you about some of my recent cases.

Here's a great one. A home invasion burglary involving 4 suspects... 3 are siblings (brother/2 sisters). The 2 armed men forced their way in to get to the tenant's boyfriend who had told one of the sisters to "shut up". Yep... I'm serious. She called her brother to "handle it" cuz she was "disrespected". Luckily, no one got shot.

Or how about the one where the suspect broke in and sexually assaulted my victim while her 10 and 11 yr old were sleeping down the hall? They were awakened by the screams of the mother. By the grace of God... he fled without harming the girls but not before the girls saw him running down the stairs.

Better yet... the baby daddy kicks the door in cuz he's pissed his baby mama has a new boyfriend over. Baby daddy and new boyfriend struggle over baby daddy's gun. New boyfriend gets it away and shoots new boyfriend. Then he's scared he's in trouble and runs. So I spent some time this afternoon in a couple of city alleys digging through trash cans looking for the bloody clothes he ditched as he was running. Glamorous, eh? I know. Don't be jealous. Tomorrow I get to spend my afternoon at the hospital interviewing baby daddy who has a collapsed lung.

But no worries... this city is safe.

* As a side note... we realize the economy is bad all over and many people (cops included) have lost their jobs. But the rationalization going on in our city government about some of their frivolous expenditures is ridiculous. I won't even start to list some of them. Just trust me... some are downright laughable over how idiotic they are. We only think those things should be cut before coming to their safety forces and eliminating people.

* I have enough seniority that this should never happen to me. Unless they decide to reduce our numbers by more than a hundred.

11 comments:

Kim said...

OMW... my problems are minor compared to this..
That is crazy.. without you guys to protect us we are all in a world of SHIT..
Hugs..
I sooo hope things get better...

Lumpy said...

heard about this on the news tonight. also saw D'Alcapone on there.

M and M said...

Oh that sucks!! Come to Toronto, they can't find enough qualified people and they are still hiring!!

Diana said...

I so agree with EVERYTHING you are saying!!! We have police officers, Firefighters, and Micheal Jackson...gosh..who is the real hero here!!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Yeah! What Diana said.

Johnny said...

Sorry about the bad news. You know how it goes, they'll only change their mind if some council member's family gets mugged.

Catherine said...

So sorry you're having to deal with all this and then the added stress of them possibly reducing staffing even further. What are they thinking???

((hugs)) friend!

Kayce said...

I am so sorry. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. I totally agree with what Johnny said....SO TRUE!!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

It is insane. I don't get it.

Kayce said...

I had to come back by and say thanks for putting your name in the Summer Reading Giveaway drawing!

t~ said...

City leaders have an amazing way of spending stupid amounts of money on absolutely nothing while the important needs go by the wayside.